Sunday, July 6, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!

Now that David has finally finished his Pre-Lims (YEAH! Pre-Lims is a horrendous test deciding your fate in PhD Land), I can make this public, because I was able to tell him...I'm pregnant.
I waited until he was finished with the dreaded test so that I wouldn't put anymore undue stress on him. Of course he sort of figured it out anyway and treated me like a queen, a puky, tired queen. But, in the meantime I wrote this small essay to sort out my feelings and for my baby-to-be. And, other than feeling sick as a dog, I'm great, thank you.

Swan Song or maybe just The Vicious Circle

It’s come, the over active bladder, the tender body parts, the odd taste in my mouth, the extra saliva (ugh! I’m drooling), the zits, and the stomach pooch that won’t go away even when I stand as straight as I can and suck in. Yep, motherhood ain’t pretty (despite what the super market photos would have you believe).

Still, despite my deterioration, I’m so excited. This is the best time of my pregnancies, the dreaming time, the question time… Who’s coming? What will they add to the family? What will he or she look like? Could it be twins? Please don’t let it be twins, although… if it was twins I’d DEFINITLY be finished. Please don’t let it be twins. What if I miscarry? Will it be a boy? Again? A girl? If so, will she be a spoiled rotten princess or a battered little lady? It’s all so unknown, so exciting!

I know, I’m getting carried away too soon, but let me marvel in this short, short time. Soon, I’ll be puking and sleeping in public places. I’ll be a sad excuse of a mother and a cranky wife. I’ll stop cooking and start crying over Christmas songs (even Jingle Bells). In short, I’ll cease to be me and turn into something else, something that is still me but different.

Bruce Banner-like, I’ll have to warn people, “You won’t like me when I’m pregnant.” I’ll begin to turn into the Incredible Bulk! (Oh how did I get to be so funny?!!) But even my quirky (at best) sense of humor will fade as my pregnancy muddled brain is flooded with progesterone and oestrogen and all other manner of horror-mones.

Like the heroes of old who descended into danger to save ones they love and came out stronger for it, I must go down into pregnancy to bring into this world a soul that I already unconditionally love, and I will become better for it.

I learn from every one of my pregnancies. Each “confinement” teaches me how grateful I am for my body and what an amazing thing it is to produce life. I can begin to relate to what others have gone through in this world, depression, nausea, weight gain, exhaustion, hormones. I learn not to judge others a little more. I learn about limitations. Then, through labor, I learn how far a body can go into the Shadow of the Valley of Death and stay on this earth. I am even more grateful for my Savior who descended below all things.

In 9 months to 2 years I will emerge again. Slowly at first, each week getting a little better. At some point, I fully come back to me, but a bunch improved. I have the energy to be the mom and wife I want to be. I am even more patient. I am further seasoned and extra confident. I can laugh at the strangeness it is to be me. I begin to want to do things like swinging at the park or camping. That’s also about the time I look around and think “Perhaps, it would be nice to have another baby.”

15 comments:

Ann said...

YAY Lisa!!! Congratulations! Little Martin #5 is so lucky to come to your family.
Your description of pregnancy and all the wacky side effects are right on. Takes me back, and almost makes me want to do it again. (But not quite!)

Cheney Family said...

How exciting!!!! We are so happy for you guys:D Your post is so right on lol. Thankfully all those annoying side affects go away in time to really love being pregnant. Take care of yourself! :)

Whitlatch Family said...

Yeah, another Martin to take on the world. Hoping only for a healthy baby, no matter boy or girl. We will definately come next spring break to see the new one and help with the other kids.

Chelsey said...

Congratulations Lisa. Happy Birthday!

Ashley said...

Congratulations! I can totally relate to your "essay". We're hoping to be doing the whole pregnancy thing again soon and I feel sorry for the people in our new ward who will have to get to know me as a crazed pregnant woman!

The JNJ Hasleton's said...

Sooooo......... I'm so EXCITED!!!! I'll be sending you some clothes, & prayers, & some of my sickness. It sounds bad to say it, but it makes it nice to know someone else I love is going through it right now too!

I wonder who they will be??

Pili said...

I loved your essay, it brought tears to my eyes, I love reading others' eloquence, when they can put my thoughts into words - it doesn't come to me the same way. I especially have to comment on the part of the Savior you mentioned. Throughout Juliette's pregnancy and the whole "after" pregnancy/recovery ordeal I tried so super hard, for the very first time (the other times I didn't try as hard because it just all seemed too hard) to really turn to the Savior - if he can take away our sins I knew he could lighten my burdens of sickness, tiredness, emotion, pain and the lack of sleep with a newborn. It worked!! He is so awesome!! I know you know the road ahead is hard, but I know you'll come out ok (whether in 9 months or 2 years), because you know in whom you trust! You are GREAT! I can't wait to know what you're having - do you want our arm's reach crib? I love you a ton!!

Tracey said...

Happy birthday, Lisa. I was baptized on your birthday 11 years ago! Congratulations on your sickness, I mean pregnancy;) I hate that you get so sick, but what a wonder to grow a little person. I felt like you had written what I experienced. I sometimes feel like a psycho person thinking that I want to go through it all again someday. Protein, protein, water, water and eat every 2 hours. I'll send you the info if you need it!

Deb said...

Congratulations my awesome friend! Yeah! We'll have to give him/her a little buddy. I'm praying for a healthy pregnancy for you. After a day like today, I've reconsidered having more kids (don't we all have days like this?). This was a poop in the crib story to beat out any other. Honestly, I would challenge anybodys after today. But Max just has athe sweetest personality so I changed my mind back again to wanting more kids! :) I also win the longest comment award! HOlla!

Eric, Kelly, Tyler, Xander, and Liam said...

Congratulations! We were elated to find your blog. Your family is just wonderful and Emma is going up to be such a beautiful young lady.

Unknown said...

congrates. That is really exicting. Good luck with the pregnancy and happy birthday

KK said...

That's great news!!! We are so excited for you and your family. It's so worth all the sick and crazy pregnancy days to have that little piece of heaven come to your family. Take care.

The Churn Mistress said...

Congratulations! I hope that you don't feel sick for too long.
Michelle in Nebraska

Lisa said...

Thank you everyone! I posted this and then my computer died. May it rest in peace. It's been very frustrating setting up a new, better, FREE one (you're awesome Pili!) and I don't know when I'll be back in the computer world.
Tracey, thank you, I still have the information you gave me and I cherish it. Debbie and Ann, jump on in the water's fine! Kelly, I'm so glad you found us! And HELLO Michelle!

raina said...

oh my gosh! congrats! your "essay" almost made me cry (raging pregnancy hormones, i suppose)i am so excited for you & for me cause i have someone to be miserable with when i come back! nice job on holding out on david. probably should've done that with lee & waited until he was done with school but that would have put the baby at being 16 months old soooo, i think he would've figured it out somehow...