Thursday, June 19, 2008

Reuben, Rueben I've Been Thinking...

Sometime in college, I took a class where the gender neutral debate was discussed with some heat. Are boys and girls forced into gender roles by society or do they naturally choose them? We couldn't come to a conclusion. Some in the seminar were convinced that "society provides a string of prescriptions, templates, or models of behaviours appropriate to the one sex or the other" (Connell, R 1987, Gender & Power, Polity Press, Cambridge.), while others took the "snips & snails" and "sugar & spice" philosophy. I myself was confused. Growing up with three brothers, my motto was "Anything you can do, I can do better." I wasn't quite sure what side of the fence that viewpoint put me on.
To be safe, and teach my children that they are not limited to what society expects of them, I have given Emma trains and cars and video games, Taran dolls, Enoch pink and purple toys, and Calvin a big plastic kitchen with pots and pans and food. Actually, I feel a bit of pride well up when I see Calvin wearing purple pumps, "Way to buck the system!" But my children seem to really embrace traditional gender roles. So what is it? Nature? Nurture?
Well, after this weekend's antics, I now feel I have something more concrete to contribute to the debate.

I give you Exhibit A...

Emma has started a ballet class. She wrote up invitations two days early and walked them around to her neighborhood friends. On Saturday all but one (she was sick) arrived promptly at 10 o'clock ready to dance. Emma took them to the basement, put on some music, and began her class. Snacks were provided.


Exhibit B...

Saturday morning Taran asked if he could play with Sully. He knocked on his door and then he and his friend ran around the yard throwing balls at each other and playing on the swing set. They were joined by Enoch and Calvin.

Somewhere around 11 o'clock the class ended and the boys and girls played with, more like against, each other.

Conclusion, it's not the activities that they chose that struck me, although I think it's telling, after all Taran has access to the same book that Emma used as her inspiration and he's been invited to join ballet classes; it's the way they went about doing them. There's certainly something for the whole "boys will be boys" and "girls will be girls" system of logic.

 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

raina said...

in my opinion, its both nature and nurture. sure you can put dolls in front of boys for 10 years and put girls in front of trucks and things but once they pass adolescence the true nature really comes out. i used to play in mud as a kid, didn't care how dirty i got and now, i freak out if my makeup isn't just right, you know? plus i look at lee and i and we are very much suited for our "gender roles". you should talk to lee about it-he took a gender class in college as well. you could strike up a pretty good conversation, i'm sure. anyway, just my opinion on the matter...oh and i'm so bummed-london would have loved to join emma's ballet class. how cute!

Whitlatch Family said...

With three boys, I find each to be sensitive and caring in their own ways. Ronny is fascinated with doll houses since he does not have one (we do provide castles for the lego guys) and Ben had a pink easy bake oven 10 years ago. All had dolls called action figures and like to play house of course being the Dad. I remember Taran wanting to be the mom, to stay home I think??? All my boys know that everyone in a house helps no matter what and that girls and boys can do the same things except have babies.