Saturday, May 10, 2008

Questions Answered

I was in the mood for an essay, perhaps I'm missing school. It's on my favorite topic, me! (Really you don't have to read it, unless you're David or maybe my mom.)

Just Keep Running
by Lisa M.
5-10-08

Today I was running around the track at the gym on four and a half hours of sleep thinking to myself, “How did I get here?” and “Why am I doing this?”
How did I get here…
Easy enough, I promised I’d let my children play in the kid areas of the gym today.
And I have a really good (but not as easy) explanation for the 4 1/2 hours of sleep too.
So last night, I started watching the new release of a Jane Austen movie, Persuasion, around 10 o’clock. After I finished it, I realized that although it was good, it was not as good as the 1995 version that I love. Or was it? The only way to know was to watch it now and compare!
Nope, I was right, the 1995 version is better, yet, the new one’s worth watching.
Well, after pushing through my initial sleepies during two movies, at 2am I wasn’t a bit tired. So I read some.
It’s a bitter-sweet deliciousness for a momma of young’uns to read late at night. The house is quiet and you can sit uninterrupted for hours, but the hours come with a price. Finally, knowing I’d have a morning of reckoning, I hauled my body up to bed. Too soon daylight and Calvin came to collect. I was up and getting everyone ready for the YWCA (but not before David made us blueberry muffins, magnificent man!).
Why I am doing this…
So why the running? My kids are in the gym, playing with toys and friends, just as I had promised. I could just go get one of those cushy exercise mats, lie down in the stretching room, and do the “dead body” yoga pose. That’s what I wanted to do, why run?
The brownies.
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that when a woman sits down to watch an Austin flick, chocolate must be involved. I started with (yes started) with a rather large double chocolate brownie and a little-ish bit of chocolate ice cream on top. Afraid I was overdoing the chocolate just a mite, I added some strawberry syrup. Perfect!
That got me through the first movie. By the second, I could hear the brownies calling down to me, “Liii-ssa!” I resisted for a good while. After all, to get another, I’d have to climb a whole flight of stairs. Alas, I succumbed. But I only took two.
Yep, that’s my diet plan: start with a good sized portion of your dessert choice, top it off with something healthy sounding, “strawberry sauce,” distance yourself from the object of your affection by one whole floor of the house, and then if you do fail, limit it to one in each hand.
And so I ran. And ran. And then did some sit ups.
Of course later in the day, I gathered my family around me and we finished those brownies off. They won’t be bothering ME again.
So, questions answered! And hey, this also answers the question I often ask myself, “If I exercise so dang much, then why am I not loosing any weight?”

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I cried reading it. I cried reading it outloud to my husband. And I hear you - I just don't understand why I'm not losing weight!!!!! I love you!!!!!

The JNJ Hasleton's said...

Ever since you introduced me to your sinful chocolate cake, my thighs have never been the same. I blame my non weight loss on you!!!! I've made that dang thing 4 times in 2 months. By the way, everyone loves it.

Whitlatch Family said...

I know the feeling. Sometimes I only exercise so I can eat ice cream. During the marathon training I could eat whatever I wanted and not gain. Too bad I don't want to train again.