Friday, May 30, 2008

Some Matters to Discuss

The Emma-nator
I love my Emma very, very, very, very, very, very… much. When I threatened Emma (see May 29th post below) we had just had a very long discussion that I tried to cut short several times because we were already running late for the bus (we barely made it). You see, my sweet Miss Daisie has a tendency to be vaguely unhappy towards everything. It’s a talent that she always has possessed. Anyone who knew her from infancy understands that she came screaming into this world and she’s made her voice heard ever since.
Moreover, it’s a talent that she’s proud of, and if I have to be completely honest, I’m proud of it too. I would never have wanted a YesGirl as a daughter. I think I deserve a worthy adversary, someone who can put her confused,
never-been-a-mother-of-an-eight-year-old, and slightly controlling mom into place.
She uses her critical eye to detect injustices in the world, sometimes on her behalf, but more often then not, for others. And despite the atmosphere of discontent that she sometimes emanates, what she really wants is for everyone to be happy and life to be fair. If there is someone out there who can bring justice to humankind, it is my relentless Emma.
As for my harsh comment, I know I need to tone it down. I tend to use cartoon violence expressions with my children when I get overly frustrated. I don’t yell my threats; they’re said in a soft, exasperated tone. For example, after 10 or so requests, I’ll cheerfully explain to my boy, “Taran you either need to get those shoes on or I’m gonna cut your feet off.” It’s a way for me to vent. My children ignore it as easily as they ignore calls to clear their dinner plates. Or, in Emma’s case, they dispute it. Like when I threatened to leave Enoch at Target so some other mother could buy him. Emma quickly jumped in, “Moommm, you never would leave us!” Yes. She is worthy of her mother.

5?
As for the “Martin Baby #5,” I have outed myself on the possibility of another baby. The truth was never very secret.
For me, there doesn’t seem to be a reason of waiting the traditional three months before telling. I make a horrible pregnant person. I’m sick as soon I know I’m pregnant. I’m also exhausted (Did I ever tell you about the time I was pregnant and I fell asleep on a park bench while watching my young children play? Did I ever tell you I did it twice?). I look terrible. People either need to know I’m gestating or they start to think I’m dieing.
Another reason we’ve never waited to tell, is that I get pregnant VERY quickly. I only need to be off contraceptives for a few short hours and then BAM! Baby. Once, even that was too long. With Enoch, we learned that he was conceived a few days before my IUD was removed.
So, to me, it only seems fair that I alert people that I’m going to be out of commission for a few (9-18) months.
But things aren’t working as they always have. I’ve been IUD free since February and still no baby. Not that I’m complaining. It’s nice to declare that the spirit is willing without feeling that the flesh is weak. But I have begun to wonder why. What’s coming next?


Could this be Number Five? With his daddy's eyebrows and her mommy's nose, it's a possibility.

5 comments:

Whitlatch Family said...

I love you.

Chelsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chelsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chelsey said...

Third times a charm. The kids know that they are loved, every mom explodes. They learn from how you apologize too. That it is okay to make mistakes and it is possible to 'fix-it' (most of the time)

Tracey said...

Lisa, knowing you, I can hear how you say these "over the top" things:) You are a funny mom who has found a way to release steam in a funny way. Michael gets some great looks from people on campus when they hear we have 5 at home (my 3 1/2yr old nephew was been living with us for the past month). Is it that way for David too? We went out to dinner the other night and at least 2 people asked if they were all ours:) I hope when #5 comes for you that you can have no sickness at all.